MidPoint does not have a roadmap in a traditional sense. MidPoint development process is considerably agile and the development priorities of midPoint project are dynamic. The roadmap is mostly influenced by the customers, project sponsors and partners. MidPoint project is planned in a rolling wave:
- We have quite a precise plan for the next release.
- We have a feature development plan for following few releases (see below).
- We have rough plan for next few years and we have a vision where to take the project in a decade or so.
As the project rolls out the plan is also made more precise. The plan is reviewed before each new release starts which is at least twice a year.
|Fall 2016||Spring 2017||Fall 2017||Spring 2018||Fall 2018|
|Password history SPONSORED|
Personas (identity links) SPONSORED
Policy rule improvements SPONSORED
Role lifecycle (IGA) SPONSORED
Certification improvements SPONSORED
|Object history SPONSORED||SoD approvals SPONSORED|
Major data model improvements
Self registration SPONSORED
|Finer-grain control of GUI elements SPONSORED||GUI improvements SPONSORED|
|SCIMv1 connector SPONSORED||ITSM integration CONTRIBUTED|
|Drupal connector SPONSORED||REST interface improvements SUBSCRIPTION|
|JSON and YAML||CredSSP support (AD/Exchange)|
Role catalog (IGA)
SPONSORED: feature that was funded by midPoint customer/partner or a free slot available for sponsored feature (see below)
SUBSCRIPTION: feature that was funded by midPoint platform subscription (see below)
CONTRIBUTED: significant portion of this feature was developed by a third party and contributed to midPoint project
Latest Release: 3.5.1 (Einstein Update 1)
MidPoint is currently high-quality product developed for more than 5 years. MidPoint has a solid architectural foundation that was proven in practice. The current set of features provides good fit for almost any environment: enterprise (both employee and customer identities), telco, cloud, Internet, etc.
Current features include:
- Account provisioning (create, read, update, delete accounts)
- Support for mapping and expressions to determine account attributes
- Processing and computation fully based on relative changes
- Provisioning robustness and consistency
- Integration of Identity Connector Framework (OpenICF)
- Web-based administration GUI
- Flexible identity repository implementations and SQL repository implementation
- Live synchronization
- Advanced Hybrid RBAC support and flexible account assignments
- Identity Governance
- PolyString support allows automatic conversion of strings in national alphabets
- Custom schema extensibility
- Multi-node task manager component with HA support
- Auditing to files or database table
- Password policies
- Password recovery
- Flexible reporting
- Workflow support (based on Activiti)
- Generic Synchronization
- Data representation in XML, JSON a YAML
- Web service, Java and REST APIs
- Lightweight deployment structure
Next Release: 3.6
This plan is also reflected in our task tracking system (jira).
Planned release date: spring 2017
The major features planned for the next release include:
Personas (identity links): Ability to link user objects representing physical person and his personas, e.g. employee persona, administration persona, etc.
- Policy rule improvements: Policy Rules mechanism is more powerful and it is universally applied to almost all governance features of midPoint
- Certification improvements: certifications and other governance features (approvals) are aligned, similar functionality is implemented (e.g. deputy, escalation)
- SoD approval: SoD mechanism is significantly improved. There is an ability to approve SoD violations instead of just enforcing them.
- Manual resources: proper support for resources that are not provisioned by using a connector. Resources that are provisioned by manual action of system administrator. Until now it was possible to implement resources like this but they were not really a first-class citizen. This feature will provide all the functionality necessary to support such resources well.
- ITSM integration: Integration to IT service management systems such as HP Service Manager or Remedy. The work item to provision or deprovision manual resources will be passed to the ITSM system.
- AD connector improvements: implementation of CredSSP protocol, support for efficient exchange scripts, etc.
- REST interface improvements
Next Release: 3.7
Planned release date: fall 2017
The major features planned for the next release include:
Plan for the next release is preliminary. Changes are possible by using midPoint subscription or sponsoring.
Fluid Features and Sponsoring
Each midPoint release has a reserved capacity for sponsored features.
MidPoint is an open source product that is developed by professional developers. This approach brings unique combination of software freedom and quality. However professional development needs to be continually funded. This funding comes from midPoint subscription and sponsoring. MidPoint subscribers may use their subscription to vote for a specific feature to be placed on roadmap. There is also option to explicitly sponsor some feature to make sure it will implemented and released at a precise point in time. We refer to the feature that is placed on the roadmap by any of these methods as sponsored feature. Each midPoint release has a reserved capacity for the features that directly or indirectly contribute to the funding of midPoint development. If the funding of next release cannot be secured by the means of subscriptions or sponsoring, some midPoint developers must provide the funding using alternative methods (mostly professional services). These alternative methods leave only a very small portion of the developer's time that can be dedicated to midPoint development. As a consequence, sponsored feature slots cannot be filled in by community feature requests otherwise midPoint development funding would be at risk. If sufficient funding for midPoint development is not secured by sponsored features the midPoint roadmap has to be reduced and the development capacity reserved to the sponsored feature slots is lost. Therefore if you depend on a specific roadmap feature please consider sponsoring that feature or use the influence of your midPoint subscription to make sure that the feature stays on the roadmap.
Except for sponsored features the Evolveum company invests into one or two major features or architectural improvements in each release. This investment is to make sure that the quality of the midPoint architecture increases and that midPoint will continually gain new progressive features. This helps midPoint to maintain its status of state-of-the-art identity management system.
There are also some features that are not yet assigned to specific releases:
- Developer SDK
- Connector Framework Evolution
- Fully customizable forms
- Flexible data caching
- Advanced SoD support and reporting
History and Rollback
Advanced Role Administration
- Account archivation
... and Beyond
We have a long-term vision that guides the project.
The roadmap is governed mostly by the people that support midPoint project, either financially or by contributing work. Therefore if you need to influence priorities of midPoint development, please consider a donation, purchase of a subscription, "buying" a feature or lending a helping hand. Please contact us if you are interested in helping financially. If you want help by investing your time and brains, please see the Participation page.
There is also one free way how to influence midPoint development: voting for issues. There is a voting options in our Jira. Registered users can vote for issues, which gives us a hint where to focus during planning and development.
Following table contains all features that are not planned yet and are labeled as product-feature.
If you would like to have some of the features in next releases then you can vote for them. If this table is missing some of your favorite features then you can create Jiras and vote for them.
Tip: Don't forget to label your features as product-feature to highlight them for others.