MidPoint development team has a long-term vision for the project. The vision guides the short-term planning and development of midPoint. But most importantly it is used to guide the project to long-term goal. The vision may seem to be quite vague, but please keep in mind that midPoint is using a rolling wave planning. Therefore the individual parts of the vision are continually transformed to roadmap which is in turn transformed to a plan for each individual release.
MidPoint development process is constructed to achieve following qualities:
- Create usable system that is efficient to deploy and maintain. MidPoint is designed to support real projects with a real ROI. It has to be efficient to use.
- We maintain technological excellence. We introduce new approaches and methods to the project. We participate in scientific projects to maintain and update our knowledge.
- Be as open as possible. We want to stick to open source approach as much as possible. We want to encourage contributions and make a good used of them.
- We must maintain efficient development of midPoint. The development of midPoint is driven by usability and technology, not hypes or marketing trends. MidPoint core team is small and efficient and we plan to keep it that way. The ceremonies (such as meetings and paperwork) are kept to the minimum, efficiency is kept at the maximum.
MidPoint is designed and architected with the following in mind:
- The long-term plan is to support extended enterprise model. When translated to technological terms it means that midPoint needs to integrate easily with other similar systems in other organizations. MidPoint also needs to be able to operate in cloud and service provider environment. In other words midPoint needs to be a part of larger distributed system.
- The entire midPoint design is based on schema. It supports data model and extension. This allows better detection of errors, more efficient data storage, integration dynamic user interfaces. Although full support for schema is more difficult to implement it is more than worth the effort.
- Although we would like to support standards as much as possible we prefer practical standards over a overly complex and non-practical specifications. We prefer standards that evolved from a working software and we are determined to help them evolve.
- Eventually midPoint will seamlessly fit into both enterprise and Internet environment. MidPoint might be one of the integration technologies that can make that possible.