midPoint project started in April 2011 by several key people that were working on the OpenIDM project. Initial midPoint release was based on the unreleased version 1.7 of OpenIDM. There were several reasons for splitting up with OpenIDM:
- The publicly visible development effort of OpenIDM by the ForgeRock team efficiently ceased in February 2011. ForgeRock haven't publicly announced any updated plan for OpenIDM.
- The part of the team that was led by nLight had done most of the design and development work to date. That part of the team had a differing view on further development of OpenIDM than the ForgeRock team had. ForgeRock decided to take a development path different from the one that was originally envisioned for OpenIDM.
- The "nLight part" of the team was confident that the original design needs needed just few adjustments and most of these adjustments were expected and accounted for in the design. Therefore it was decided that the existing OpenIDM code should not be wasted and the development should continue in the original spirit.
The people from nLight and few other companies joined forces and established a new company: Evolveum. The Evolveum mission is to lead a pragmatic development of professional open-source projects. Short-term goal is to carry on the development of OpenIDM following the original approach. Product name was changed to midPoint. The members of Evolveum team are original authors of significant part of the code base, therefore it was decided to start a completely new project using the code that the Evolveum team "owns" and, in an open-source spirit, reuse some of the other parts of the OpenIDM code base.
Release Date: 2nd February 2015
Major Focus: resorce resource wizard, usability features, GUI improvements, performance improvements, diagnostics and overall product quality
Release Notes: Release 3.1
- Password recovery (security questions)
- Access certification (technology preview)
- Reworked LDAP connector
- Provisioning enhacements enhancements (auxiliary object classes, native attribute names, etc.)
- Asynchronous bulk delete task
- Auditing improvements
- User interface improvements
- Governance features
- Major policy rules improvements
- SoD approval, certification and major improvements
- Ad-hoc recertification
- Password hashing and mail-based account initialization
- Important improvements to mappings, expressions, object templates and other mechanisms
- Numerous GUI imporvementsimprovements
- Custom forms
- Quasi-fulltext search
- Shopping cart and role catalog improvements
- Connector improvements
- Significantly improved Powershell support
- New CSV connector
- Manual connectors by ITSM integration